New virtual after-hours health service
Launched in Feb 2022, our PHO, Tu Ora Compass Health, in conjunction with Pinnacle Health Network, a virtual after-hours telehealth service called Practice Plus.
This service does not replace our after-hours services – our doctors are still on call 5.30-10pm Mon-Fri and 8am-10pm weekends and public holidays (call 04 2936 002). We have learnt during the current pandemic that there are many clinical services that can be managed virtually (phone, video or using a patient portal), and in our PHO hearing the plight of many practices across the greater Wellington region, decided to investigate options for providing after-hours telehealth.
What you need to know about this service –
- The service is available 5-10pm Mon-Fri and 8am-8pm weekends and public holidays;
- The service is designed for acute issues that you feel need to be addressed out of normal clinic opening hours;
- Waikanae Health doctors are not providing this service, the service is provided by doctors and nurse practitioners working for Whakarongorau Aotearoa (Homecare Medical). When you call our after-hours number (04 2936002) you may be asked if you would like a virtual appointment at that time;
- Charges for the services provided are made by Whakarongorau Aotearoa, and payment is required at the time of booking. Any dispute of fees charges are to made to Whakarongorau Aotearoa and not Waikanae Health;
- This is a virtual service, where you can select either telephone or video consultation – if the clinician running the consultation thinks that you need to be physically seen by our doctors, they will refund you the fee you have paid, and will arrange for you to connect with our after-hours team;
- The doctors and nurse practitioners providing the service have secure access to some of your patient notes (medications you are on, previous diagnoses, and your most recent consultation notes etc), and following a consultation, send a note to your own GP – once your GP has read these notes they will become available to you on MyIndici (if you are registered);
- Online GPs can order lab tests, radiological investigations and prescribe medications;
- You can book a consultation by going to our website and clicking on the link to Practice Plus. You make payment for the service at the time you book, using credit or debit card. When you book you will be asked for information on the reason for the consult, so that the doctors can do prework;
- Scripts will be dispensed at the local pharmacy of your choice;
- A charges schedule can be found on the Practice Plus website;
Whakarongorau Aotearoa (Homecare Medical) answer our phones after-hours and provide clinical advice, so it has made sense that we partner with them to provide some additional after-hours virtual services.
It is our intention to touch base with patients who use this service to get feedback on their experience, so that we can work with Whakarongorau Aotearoa to ensure expectations are met.
We trust that this service will be valuable to you and your whanau.